Latest All-Star News
Manager Applications for All Star Teams have been submitted and are being reviewed by the ZLL Board. Final announcements on Managers will be made in mid-May!
All Star Documents
Player Commitment Form (must be completed by May 17 if player wants to play All-Stars)
Full Policy (also posted below)
The Zeeland Little League All Star Teams, also known as Tournament Teams, are composed of players and coaches to compete in the Little League International Tournament for their respective age division. The Little League International Tournament is the most widely known youth sports tournament in the world. There are six levels of tournament play in Little League Baseball® and five within Little League Softball®. The tournaments start at the District level, and teams must win their way to advance through the International Tournament. The 8- to 10-Year-Old (10U) and 9- to 11-Year-Old (11U) Tournaments culminate at the State Level, while the Little League (12U), Little League Intermediate (50/70) Baseball, and Junior League divisions all conclude at a World Series Tournament. ZLL pays a one-time fee to enter each team into the Little League International Tournament, with 100 percent of that fee returning to local Little League teams that advance through the International Tournament to help offset costs.
Tournament Teams in ZLL
Zeeland Little League will attempt to create one (1) All Star Team for each level listed below:
- Junior Baseball
- 50/70 Baseball
- League Age 12 and under (12U) Baseball
- League Age 12 and under (12U) Softball
- League Age 11 and under (11U) Baseball
- League Age 11 and under (11U) Softball
- League Age 10 and under (10U) Baseball
- League Age 10 and under (10U) Softball
ZLL will enter each team into the Little League International Tournament unless the team cannot be formed due to an insufficient amount of eligible/willing players and/or coaches.
To be eligible for selection to an All Star team, a completed All Star Player Commitment Form must be completed and returned to Zeeland Little League by Friday, May 17, 2019. The form contains information on:
- Documents required to prove residency or school
- Regular season game attendance requirements
- Time commitments and expectations
- Playing time rules and expectations
- Parent code of conduct and expectations
Only players who complete the form will be considered for selection to an All Star Team. A completed form does not guarantee selection to an All-Star team, but instead confirms the desire of the player to play All-Stars and the commitment that a family must make should a player be selected.
All-Star Head Coach (Manager) Selection Process
- Anyone wishing to be an All-Star coach must be a registered and active coach during the regular season in a division that contains players at the same age level of the All-Star team he/she wishes to coach.
- For instance, a coach at the AAA level may not be an All-Star coach for the 12U team. Only a Majors coach may be a 12U All-Star coach.
- Anyone wishing to be an All-Star Manager must complete the All-Star Manager Application by May 1.
- ZLL will review the applications and may interview coaches that apply.
- The ZLL Board will decide and approve on a final candidate list for All-Star Managers.
- If the final candidate list contains more than one (1) eligible coach, the All-Star Manager position will be voted on by board members.
- The final decision for the All-Star Manager will be announced May 15.
- The All-Star Manager’s kid(s) is guaranteed a spot on the All-Star team (see team selection process)
All-Star Player Selection Process
- Players who complete the All-Star Player Commitment Form will be placed into a pool based on the player’s sport and age.
- Each All-Star team will have a selection committee composed of:
- The All-Star Manager
- One or more Zeeland Little League Board Member(s)
- Other applicable coaches
- Registered coaches may request to be on an All-Star Selection Committee per the following guideline:
- Junior Baseball – Juniors Coaches
- 50/70 Baseball – 50/70 Coaches
- 12U – Majors Coaches
- 11U – Majors and AAA Coaches
- 10U – AAA Coaches
- An All-Star tryout may be hosted for each team, at which the All-Star Selection Committee will evaluate players.
- Depending on the amount of eligible players for each team, combinations of age groups may be used in one (1) tryout.
- The All-Star tryout date will be announced with the release of the regular season schedule.
- Per the commitment form, players must attend the tryout unless an excused absence is granted by the ZLL Board.
- After the tryout, each member of the All-Star Selection Committee will vote for players to represent the All-Star Team.
- The voting ballot will allow each committee member to rank the top 15 players to be selected to the team.
- Players receive points based on where they are ranked on the ballot, where a player ranked #1 receives 15 points, #2 receives 14 points, and so on for 15 total players
- The top 12 players receiving the most points will be named to the All Star Team.
- If there is a tie in voting for the last remaining spot(s) on the team, the ZLL Board will work with the All-Star Manager to either allow all players tied in points to be on the team, or complete a revote with the appropriate All-Star Committee for only those players that are tied in points.
- If after the revote, the players are still tied in votes, the ZLL Board will select the player(s) to be included.
- After the first 12 players are selected through the committee, the All-Star Manager may select up to two (2) additional players to be included on the team to account for assistant coaches (see All-Star Assistant Coach Selection Process below).
- The final All-Star rosters must be approved by the ZLL Board prior to public release
- The final All Star rosters will be posted on the ZLL website
All-Star Assistant Coach Selection Process
- After player selections, the All-Star Manager may select up to two (2) coaches to be assistants for the All Star Team.
- The coaches selected must also have been registered and active coaches during the regular season.
- If none of the 12 players selected to the team have parents that are willing and eligible to be an All-Star Assistant Coach, additional players may be added to account for additional coaches.
- The ZLL Board will contact players in the order they received points in the All Star Selection Process who have parents that are eligible to coach.
- Players will only be added to the All-Star team if they have a parent willing to be an assistant coach.
- Additional players will not be added once enough coaches are committed and accounted for.
- The ZLL Board must approve assistant coach selections.
Player Dismissal and Replacement
- Players that receive votes, but are not selected to an All-Star team, will be put onto a “reserve list”
- Should an active player be dismissed or injured such that they can no longer play, coaches may replace him/her with a player from the “reserve list”.
- A player that does not comply with the All-Star Player Commitment Form may be dismissed from the All-Star team without refund.
- Any player that is replaced on the All-Star roster may not return to play in a game under any circumstance.
- If a player from the “reserve list” is used, he/she must pay a portion of the All-Star fee to cover the cost of uniform.
- This amount will be determined after All-Star uniforms are finalized, but will always be less than the full amount for All-Star players ($75 in 2019)
- All player dismissals and replacements must be approved by the ZLL Board.